Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Teacher Talk

It is summer which can only mean one thing... Sleeping in until 10. Beach all day. Daytime TV. Teachers begin preparing for next school year! Summer is a time for rest, but it is also a time for reflection, recharging, professional development, creating, and preparing. Can you tell that I'm getting pumped for my new group?!

Teachers - looking for ideas for next year? I've listed some of my favorite tools from this year. These were instrumental with classroom management (my #1 priority, always), student engagement, and most importantly, building confident, successful leaders!


My goal: All students will feel like this when they leave my classroom... on top of the world!


 **Morning Song

My classroom playlist

I love music and I've found that kids will work for/work to music. That is why I use a morning song to start the day. When the bell rings, I greet my students at the door and hit "play" on my iPod. The morning song begins to play as students enter the room. (I try to find songs in the 4 minute range.) The students know that they have until the song ends to unpack and prepare for the day (get out hw, sharpen pencils, use bathroom, etc.). Once the song ends we are ready to begin. Kids love it and it worked really well this year. This keeps them from chatting and they stay focused on getting ready for a super day.

BONUS: If kids unpack before the song ends, we may have a small groove session. Some of my fifth graders have some moves - ha!


**Blue Folders

My #1 management tool

Every Wednesday I send home a blue folder with samplings of weekly work and a student update. You can download the communication sheet in my TPT store: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Weekly-Communication-Log-1907883. I got this idea from a dear friend and have adjusted it to fit my classroom. This is an amazing tool for me because I have individualized weekly communication with parents. Yes, weekly! Parents (and students) love to know how their child is doing both academically and behaviorly. This tool is a way to send home praise and improvement notes.

BONUS: Kids want to show off the fun notes I write home and they bring it back signed! Well, most of the time.


**High Fives and Handshakes

Up high!

Another thing I borrowed stole from an awesome teacher at another elementary school. Every afternoon, my students let me know if they had a good day by giving me a personalized handshake or high five. Yes, this takes a few weeks to memorize each one but the kids LOVE it! The handshakes are student created and fun. If students didn't have a good day, they don't have to talk about it if they don't want to, they simply can skip the handshake and that's my cue to check on them tomorrow and get them in a re-start mode. Most of my team has started using the handshakes and it brings a whole other level of connection to your kiddos.

BONUS: You look really cool and might feel like a kid again. I can't even handle the cute handshakes I get: Hunger Games themed, snaps, old school hand claps that I used to do in 5th grade, and FSU chops.


**Problem Based Learning (PBL)

End of Year Party PBL

This past year I took a huge leap from my traditional teaching role and launched PBLs for the entire year during my STEM block. WOOWEE! At first it was overwhelming, stressful, and intimidating. But, by my third PBL I had to take a step back in awe of my fifth graders. I don't think I can ever go back to "traditional" teaching. I cannot even express how impressed I was with my kids. My students really took the problems to the next level and worked cohesively to solve them.

BONUS: It's real world learning and application. Oh and my kids always begged for the next PBL. Students stoked for the next math and science assignment? I'll take it!


**Homework Notebooks

Differentiated HW works

Teacher confession: I am not big fan of homework. I believe practice outside of school is beneficial, but I do not believe in long-drawn out-tears flowing-parents yelling-frustration raising-homework. So, noticing that this is what was happening in most homes, I did some research and created a homework notebook. Homework is individualized to meet students at their levels. Every student is required to read for 30 minutes at home. No, they do not respond to reading prompts. No, they do not summarize. They simply read for the love of reading (Holla - Book Whisperer!). Math is catered to the student's level. Fact fluency (multiplication) or skill review. Yes, I believe fifth graders should have their multiplication facts memorized! Middle school math teachers are saying, "AMEN!" right about now. :)

And you know what? This worked wonders in my room. Students were able to have a life outside of homework and only once in a while were there questions on homework problems. My job as a teacher should be to meet the needs of my students within the school hours. I believe after-school hours should be spent on what kids are passionate about and a little bit of school review.

BONUS: Fewer tears and less work for the teacher and parent. Mrs. Ryan: 1 , HW Drama: 0

What worked really well in your classroom this past year? I'd love to hear your ideas!








No comments:

Post a Comment