Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Father's Day



Let's be honest... Dads always get the short end of the stick when it comes to holidays. And what I mean is this: Father's Day is promoted approximately three days in advance. Mother's Day is promoted approximately three months in advance. There are banners for every spa in town advertising gift certificates. Flower shops are in overdrive and teachers (uh-hum, me included) are scrambling to get their students to make the perfect handmade gift from the heart.

Poor dads. Most of the time, kids are out of school already. No school handmade gift from the heart. It's more like - Here is a six pack of beer and a Snickers bar. Oh and maybe a card/maybe not because guys don't really want a sappy card anyway. To add insult to injury, Father's Day is smack dab in the middle of the summer when kids are a) either away at camp or b) moms are too busy pulling their hair out because the kids are home all day and forget to plan something.

When I was growing up, my sister and/or I were always at a camp and would miss Father's Day every single year. I'm not even kidding about this. Every year!

So, this year I'm doing it up! And I'm challenging you to do the same. Father's Day is Sunday and that means we might need to get a move on it. To kick off this sentimental weekend, I've created my own cheesy handmade gift... this blog post. I'm posting to all the world what I have learned from my dad and why I am thankful for these lessons. Honestly, these are some of the most important lessons that unfortunately (mom - I love you, but...) mom could not teach me.

Here we go, Dad:

 Lesson #1
 Precision is important. (Nothing was "eye-balled" here. Measuring tape required.)
My dad was a contractor. I could just stop here, because those of you who either have a contractor in your family or you know one, know what I'm talking about. And as annoying and as time consuming as it can be - precision matters. When my dad remodeled my house (new floors, turned a carport into a stunning dining room, built me a pantry, laundry room, and added a master bath) and built our family home, he made sure every detail was perfect. The floors are lined up perfectly, there is symmetry in every room, and every cut is even. As much as I just "wanted it done" and I'm sure Debs said a time or two, "Oh goodness Larry, just make the cut" I'm glad my dad took the time to DO IT RIGHT.


Lesson #2
  Get up early. (The early bird gets the bugs/lobsters.)
I am a morning person and I have my dad to blame thank. Growing up, I despised the fact that I had to wake up at 7am on a Saturday morning to cut the grass. Ugh, so not cool - ha! All of my other girlfriends were getting extra beauty rest and there I was sweating to death, praying that the cute boys in the neighborhood were not driving by as I was pushing the mower along the front lawn. We were never allowed to sleep in. Ever. And I am so thankful for that now. The thought of wasting the day drives me crazy. My dad used to say, "You can get 8 hours of sleep whether you wake up at 7:00 or 9:00, just depends on what time you go to bed. And honestly it's only the first 10 minutes after you wake up that are rough. But after that you are usually happy that you are up and making moves." Gosh, don't you hate when your parents are right!?


Lesson #3
Math matters. (Doughnuts do, too.)
I can't even tell you how lucky I am to have my dad around. Not only is he still healthy, but he is beyond helpful.  If you ever need a feel good moment, just stop by my classroom on any Wednesday and this is the picture you will see: Mr. Taylor bringing in custom doughnut orders for the kids who scored a 90% or higher on their weekly multiplication test, Mr. Taylor organizing every single child's weekly folder that needs to go home that afternoon, Mr. Taylor sitting with kids on the verge of tears helping them with Common Core Math that is blowing their minds, Mr. Taylor giving high-fives and "way-to-gos" to kids who have FINALLY mastered their multiplication facts after months of practicing and, for some, for the first time in their LIFE. He's helped tremendously in making an "I hate math" kid into an "I can't wait for math today" kid. And that's why he proves that math matters.


Lesson #4
Hawaii is ALWAYS a good idea. (Alohaaaaaa!)
For those of you who don't know, my dad convinced my mom to move to Hawaii with him after only a few short months of dating. My dad proposed to my mom in Hawaii. My dad married my mom in Hawaii. And after high school, my dad took us to Hawaii, twice. I honestly believe he had a lot to do with our family's obsession love for Hawaii. Kacey got engaged in Hawaii. I got married in Hawaii. There you have it - thanks to my dad, the three girls in his life have found love there, fell in love there, and declared their love there. See, my dad knows a way to a girl's heart and he obviously inspired our now husbands, too... just take her to Hawaii.

Happy Father's Day, Dad! Love - ELT jr.

*For my readers - Remember to make a big deal about this day for your dad or husband. Make a quick list of the things your dad has taught you. You may even think - WOW, my dad is more awesome than I let him know and I think I will make this Father's Day the BEST ONE YET!

I'd love to hear what lessons your dad has taught you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment