Wednesday, July 15, 2015

9/11 Activities

Hello Fellow Americans!

Does anyone else just L-O-V-E America? I'm talking you get chills when you hear the National Anthem? You may even shed a small tear when you hear it or sing it? Or do you ever have the urge to run up to the old man in the grocery store wearing the Veteran hat and give him a big ol' hug and say "THANK YOU!!!!!!!"? Or are your favorite holidays those that honor our heroes and celebrate what this great country stands for?

For me, I am one of those red, white, and blue lovin' gals! When school starts, I will find any way to make my kiddos aware of our rights and freedoms. And most importantly, students need opportunities to thank those who have given us these rights and freedoms.

One of those opportunities falls towards the beginning of the school year - 9/11. Now, you must know that my fifth graders weren't even alive when this took place. But, I feel that it is my obligation to them, and to my country, to educate them about this day and bring awareness to our heroes.

So, I've planned my 9/11 activities and I thought I would share them with you. Feel free to incorporate all or just some of these ideas in your classroom or in your own home. May we never forget about our military personnel and first responders.

To our brave men and women - THANK YOU!


Day 1: Brain Pop and Art

Navy Vet. Firefighter. My hubby. (I know I'm bragging here.)

Activity Title: "Never Forget" Window Art

Description: Show kids the 9/11 Brain Pop video or something similar... nothing too gruesome and it must be appropriate for fifth graders. Discuss the events of 9/11. Have students draw the American Flag on construction paper. Talk about the stars and stripes and what they mean. Display the students' artwork on our classroom window.

Sample work.


Day 2: Stars and Stripes Review and a Challenge

This looks fun!

Activity Title: Small Group Cup Art Challenge

Description: Review yesterday's activity. Students will be placed in groups. I will give them their supplies, show them where their canvas fence area will be, and explain the challenge. The challenge is to create "cup art" to remember 9/11. They do not necessarily need to create a flag as I will leave the interpretations up to each group.
Plan time: 5 minutes
Execution time: 20 - 25 minutes


Day 3: Plants Love America

Patriotic Potting

Activity Title: Red, White, and Bloom

Description: Students will review the plant cycle and be given the supplies they need in order to plant a red, white, or blue flower seed. They will need to research their flower to ensure that they are properly taking care of their seed/flower in terms of watering and sunlight. I'm excited to watch these grow, so in fact we will remember these brave men and women beyond that one day/week.


Day 4 and Day 5: Friendly Letter Writing

 Last Year's Cards

Activity Title: Cards for the Courageous

Description: Students will write friendly letters to our veterans/police/firemen thanking them for their service. America's Adopt a Soldier Program has an address to send cards nationally. I will also be sending letters to fire and police stations in New York City.

What do your students or children do to remember 9/11? I'd love to hear your ideas!

God Bless America! :) xo




No comments:

Post a Comment