Friday, July 24, 2015

Five on Friday - Stretching the Truth

Happy Friday, friends! For my teachers and parents - we are getting close to Back to School! And what's more fun than prepping for the new school year? Well, let's not answer that - ha!  I can tell you that teachers have been busy reading up on math and reading strategies, planning, and taking advantage of professional development activities. Back to school prep gets me pretty fired up. I'm always looking for exciting ways to engage my students and learn new things. One of my triumphs this summer was working with PowerPoint in order to make a snazzy new "Meet the Teacher" letter. (It's the little things people. I know I'm a nerd and proud of it.) With the new school year rapidly approaching, I thought I'd share a snapshot of my jazzy new letter.

So, imagine how excited I was to show Adam my fancy pants creation with pictures, clip art, and color! Yeah well, Adam had a few laughs as he claimed I was lying about a few of my favorite things. Excuse me? I do not lie! As he started pointing out a few "wrong answers", I started thinking about how teachers might stretch the truth a bit on these letters.  Teachers - can you relate? Parents - Are you wondering what teachers really want to say? Take a gander...


Cool letter, right? WoopWoop!



Stretch #1: Favorite Drink


Morning Sips

My letter says: Green Tea and Espresso

What I really want to say: Red Wine

Ladies - can we just be real for a minute. Yes, in the morning I enjoy a cup of green tea or espresso. But, if I were stranded on an island and I was given one choice of beverage, I'm going with red wine. Just saying.  I like my wine. And after a day of teaching I really like a glass (or two.)


Stretch #2: Favorite Book


 Such a great read!

My letter says: Crash and The Hunger Games

What I really want to say: 50 Shades of Grey or Gone Girl or something else I'm embarrassed to admit ;)

Yeah, explain that one to the kids. Well, "I love all shades of that grey scale." Or, "I enjoy reading about psycho wives." Don't get me wrong I love children's books. But again, stranded on an island...


Stretch #3: Favorite Music


 Yeehaw!

My letter says: Country

What I really want to say: Techno and Christian

Huh? Those don't even go together, Ellise. I know, I know. Hear me out. If I write Techno, I will have parents envisioning me at a rave every night dancing on couches and stuff.  Yes, I love to dance to it and yes, I run to it. To make it a little more interesting let's also write Christian music. I love this stuff! But I'd like to avoid a possible lawsuit or something like that because God forbid I bring religion into the classroom. So, I just put my third favorite - Country.


Stretch #4: Favorite Store

My letter says: Target

What I really want to say: Nordstrom

Yeah, I'm a teacher and I'm not rolling in the big bucks. I get it. Sooo instead of looking like a wannabe-rich-girl who just teaches for fun, I will claim Target. Because let's be honest, that's where I really buy my clothes. A girl can dream, right?


Stretch #5: Favorite Hobby


 Run 5th, Run!
My letter says: Running and Card Making

What I really want to say: Running. *So when I go cocktail cruising (at the beach, on a boat, at the pool, or anywhere really) I don't feel guilty.

Hobbies are meant to relax a person, correct? I love running and I love making cards. But, if I could choose to do anything on a random day to unwind, it would be to get my hubs and my favorite girls, hop on the boat, and cruise around. With a watermelon martini or a sassy sangria in hand.

So there you have it, folks. Teacher reveals all. What truths are you stretching on your back to school letters?

Come on ladies, don't leave me hanging. :)

Happy Weekend!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment