Sunday, January 11, 2015

Body by God

After two days of unhealthy lifestyle choices, I'm looking forward to Monday. I'm excited to hit the restart button and work on my "glow." One of my resolutions for the new year is to become more health minded. In order to do this I've been digging deep in the Bible to see how God suggests that I tackle the eating, drinking, and exercising topics.

If you are in the same boat as me, then I think it's time we figured out what exactly it is that's getting in our way of reaching our goals. Is it eating habits? Binge drinking? Lack of exercise?

I've found that the Man upstairs has all the answers. Whether we choose to listen to him is another story.

Here we go...


Amen

FOOD

Get your Bible out.

What God says: Proverbs 23, 1 Corinthians 10, 1 Corinthians 6, Leviticus 11

My interpretation: Gluttony is bad on the bod.

How do I feel after I eat junk? Lazy. Tired. Mad. Frustrated. And I usually think something like "Come on, Ellise, really?!?!? " God knows how food can affect our mood, body, and overall health. That's why he encourages us to eat well, and by well I don't mean well enough for four people. When I eat right, I feel right. Bottom line.

Now, I'm not trying to be all bossy boots and say that we must eat healthy 100% of the time. Let's be honest, that's not happening. What we can do is start small. For me, I know that I am a stress eater. (Eew, this is not fun to admit.) Instead of grabbing for food when I'm stressed, I've started praying. I know this sounds crazy, but give it a whirl. I've litrally been at my desk, stressing over test scores, and the candy jar is calling my name. I've bowed my head, prayed, and ignored those sugary pests. One small victory for me, one loss for the fat devil.

How can I change? Talk to God - pray. Yes, He is listening. Let's become food snobs and ingredient sticklers. Research. Prepare.


Does this make my hiny look big?

BINGE DRINKING

Get your Bible out.

What God says: Proverbs 23, Proverbs 20, Galatiations 5, Romans 13

My interpretation: I've been doing a lot of things wrong for a long time. Uh-oh.

This has definitely been the biggest change I've made.  Let's get something straight, I'm not here to judge and by no means am I innocent in this department.

I love a good time. I love dressing up, drinking up, dancing it up. For part of my adult-ish life I've partied. Honestly, I've partied, partied. Like walking out of my favorite NYC club, sun coming up, get in a taxi, lose my wallet, sleep all day partied. And that scenario was on repeat for a few years. I'm not ashamed to admit this. Here's why... Because it's brought me even closer to God. Even after going against him, he still provides for me and loves me.

Last year, something clicked. I was reading my Bible, and God had me reading a verse about drunkeness. He tells us not to be drunks and surprise surprise he knows exactly what's best for us.  Drunkeness wrecks my body, my wallet, and my overall well being. Do I still drink? Yes. Do I love to go out and have too much fun once in awhile? Absolutely.

If this is one area that we are not willing to adjust, then... sorry to say that our bodies won't change either. I either want a healthier life or I don't. I can either listen to and try out God's way or not. For me, I've learned the hard way. But, it's not too late to change. And we can still be fun without being drunk. Who doesn't love a designated driver?


Move and Groove 

FITNESS

Get your Bible out.

God says: Philippians 4, Proverbs 3, Proverbs 13

My interpretation: God gave me healthy legs, so I need to be using them.

Making time for exercise can be tough. Do I feel 100 times better about myself when I exercise? Heck yes! Is my husband proud of me when I take care of my body? You better believe it. Does it give me time to clear my mind and become a better wife, teacher, and friend? You bet!

You know "those" girls with healthy bodies and glowing skin? Yeah, they work their butts off to look like that! I aspire to be like that - fit and healthy. And it takes time, dedication, and discipline. I have choices in this life. I can sit around or move around. We all get the same 24 hours.Everyone is busy. It's not about HAVING the time it's about MAKING the time.

How bad do you really want it? No matter how big or small your health and fitness goals are, G-O-D has your back. We are not in this alone.

Have a great week!








1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh girl I so needed this tonight! I have been in such a weird funk lately that I have literally driven myself crazy these past few days! I have felt as though someone sucked the motivation right out of me. Reading this has inspired me to get up and get going! Push this funk aside! Who better to have as my motivation than the big man upstairs! Love your link to faith! Thanks for posting girl! Miss seeing you every day!
    Love, Meagan Collazo

    ReplyDelete