Wednesday, January 9, 2013

180

My 180

In college, I was pretty sure I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to spend my weekends with friends, I wanted to make it to the gym every day, I wanted to find an original outfit for the next social, and I wanted to graduate with that perfect job that would make me oh-so-happy!  You know that glamorous dream job... anyone? hello? Okay, so I wasn't the only one without that lined up straight out of college.

I went from selling furniture and ad space to currently selling twenty-two 5th graders on the idea that they are the greatest little minds in the sunshine! And trust me, it isn't an easy sales pitch. With the craziness going on in the media and the pressures of testing, I feel that students' confidence needs a serious boost and I am trying very hard to find a way to relate endless worksheets and tests to the intriguing world around them. It's definitely not Glamour Magazine, but it is my dream job.

Welcome to our "think tank." 


 Class Mascots - Frankie the Fish and Renegade, naturally.


 Negativity = NOT allowed in our nucleus aka the classroom.


We don't accept anything less. Each student sets an academic and personal goal at the beginning of every semester.


We are always fishing for good news!


 Creating 'Nole fans one book at a time. 

Work. Hard. Always. 


 

This is not trash, I promise. Each student has a "confidence building" wall. At the end of each week, they stick a note on the wall beneath their name. They start at the very bottom of the wall. By the end of the year they should have sticky notes climbing up the wall to the top to reach their name. This way they can see how far they have come and what helped to build their confidence throughout the year. I can't wait to have to step on chairs to tape these up. GO KIDS GO!










2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your classroom, Ellise. It is such a positive happy place filled with love and energy. I bet the kids find it very inspriring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn!! They are a great group. :)

    ReplyDelete