Thursday, January 29, 2015

Swap Shop - Beauty Edition

Welcome to my Swap Shop where I'm looking to swap out problematic products and shop for new ones. Together we can tackle life's pesky little health and beauty blunders.

Swap:   traditional deodorant
Shop:    natural deodorant

Let's just say this isn't my finest moment on the blogosphere. You know how monkeys look when they are scratching their underarms?

Me using traditional deodorant.

Unfortunately, I do. I don't know what happened, but traditional deodorants decided to make me miserable. Oh man would I would itch, itch, itch! It was the pits.

Thanks to my sweet sister-in-law, I was introduced to Schmidt's Natural Deodorant. It was quite delightful not needing to sneak an itch every four seconds. I mean just imagine this... You are on a date with your super cute man/potential husband. You say, "Hey Hunkalicious, look! It's a flying pig!" He looks. You do a quick scratch scratch. Embarrassing moment diverted.

Ladies - have you checked your deodorant label lately? Eeeeek! There is some scary stuff out there. I'm loving my deodorant swap and I hope you will too!

Get yourself some of this awesomeness at urbanoutfitters.com or your local health nut boutique.


Swap:  lotion
Shop:   oils

I love smelling like a walking PiƱa Colada! Slather me up with a coconut lotion potion and no one can ruin my day!

Why don't I own these?

What I don't enjoy is reading the ingredients list on their labels. Lately, I've been channeling my inner hippie and I'm using coconut oil and/or other natural oils in place of lotion. I figure if I can cook with this stuff, I should be able to soothe my skin with it.

I even have a special oil tailored to my Pitta body type. Has anyone else looked into the Ayurvedic Medicine? Fascinating stuff!

Truth be told, my skin stays hydrated a lot longer with the natural oils. I'm feeling really boho chic right about now. And you can too! Just start small. Grab some coconut oil and put a little dab on your knees and elbows. See how you like it. I'm loving this swap! Not to mention there's some gnarly stuff in lotions, so I feel like I'm rescuing my chemically treated skin.

And the best part? I still smell like a Hawaiian vacation!

Out with the dry. In with the silky and supple.


Swap: straightener
Shop:  coconut milk serum

The last time I went to the salon, my hair stylist gave me an earful about straightening my hair. I guess it makes sense that I should only singe my locks for special occasions. Most days I just need a minor taming of the mane.

Those mornings when you have 30 minutes to get ready.

After perusing the beauty aisles at Walgreens, I was tempted by the product below. How could I resist coconut milk anti-breakage/solve all of my hair problems serum? I don't put it on my roots or the top of my head because come on that's not a good look for anyone.

I've started using this stuff on the lower portion of my hair and I love it. Now, let's get serious, it definitely doesn't work as well as the real deal. If you are going on a date and want to look all sassy frassy then break out the straightener. If you need a quick fix and you're looking for a more au naturale alternative, then give it a try. For me, it serves its Monday - Friday purpose and it smells heavenly.

All I'm missing is my hula skirt.


I'd love to hear what you are swapping out in your beauty routine. Let's all share our secrets so we can be gorgeous babes. Naturally.




No comments:

Post a Comment